Civil services for Grand County include, but are not limited to: service of civil process (serving court papers), execution of court-ordered evictions, the court-ordered sale of real and personal property, and providing deputy civil assists.

Submitting Documents for Service of Process
Papers can be submitted for service of process either via postal mail or in person at the Civil Unit office. All service of process requires payment in advance. For payments made in the office, we can accept cash, check or money order. Papers submitted by mail should include a check or money order for the service fee made out to Grand County Sheriff’s Office, and sent to:
               Grand County Sheriff’s Office
                               25 S 100 E
                          Moab, UT 84532

Please also complete as much information as possible on this Information Sheetand include it with papers submitted by mail.

Walk-in: 8 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
Phones: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday – Friday
The office is closed on all legal holidays


Grand County Sheriff’s Office
25 S 100 E     Moab, UT
When you enter the building lobby, take a seat and someone will be with you shortly.


 Fees for Service
The following types of papers are $20 per service for Civil or criminal cases, plus mileage ($2.50 per mile):


  • Summons & Complaint/ Summons & Petition
  • Temporary Restraining Order/Protective Orders
  • Supplemental Order/Motion
  • Subpoena /Subpoena Duces Tecum
  • Garnishments
  • Letters(Must not be sealed)
  • Trustee Sale Posting($5.00 per posting)
  • Small Claims

If you are serving papers to more than one defendant at the same address, the first defendant will be charged the full service fee plus mileage, and each additional defendant is $20.

For out-of-state papers or any other papers requiring the Return of Service to be notarized, there is a $2 fee for each defendant.

If you have questions, or to ask about fees and requirements regarding Sheriff’s Sales, Execution Sales, or Orders of Possession, please contact a Civil Clerk at (435)259.8115.

Protection Orders (Restraining Orders)
For information on how to obtain a restraining order, call the Victims Advocate in the County where you reside. For the Grand County Victims Advocate, call (435)259.1326. If you need to report a violation of a protection order that has already occurred, call the law enforcement agency where the violation occurred. If you have a new protection order, the Sheriff’s Office can assist you in serving it to the restrained party. If the court waived the fees for serving your protection order, we may be able to accept your paperwork by fax. Please contact the Sheriff’s Office for further information.